People tell me all the time… I don’t like having my picture taken.
I always say, I completely understand, I don’t either. That is the truth!
Not all of us look like the next America’s Top Model or a movie star, but we sure can look our best. The way we do this is to think about why we are getting the photographs taken.
Are we having family photographs taken because our children are growing up?
Fun photos like this mixed media photo of baby Luna show off her beauty.
Are we having photographs taken because it is a monumental time in our life like senior portraits or our wedding day?
Photography is a record, a way to preserve a moment in time. It truly is a statement of who you are or who you want to be. Remember this is a record for future generations to go back and say, “Oh grandma look, I have your eyes!” “Look how beautiful you looked on your wedding day”.
These are a few tips on helping you on portrait day.
1. Keep in mind who you are doing this for? That surely will bring a smile to your face.
2. Surround yourself with people you love and it will take your mind off the task at hand. This always helps with tension.
3. Make sure your photographer makes you feel comfortable by ironing out a plan of the photo shoot. Such as, where the photographs will be taken, who will be in the photographs, what outfits to bring and when.
4. Most of all make sure the photographer knows what you are wanting. Communicate and you will feel more comfortable.
5. Make sure you are hiring a professional photographer not a picture taker who happens to have a camera. A professional knows how to get the best angles, lighting and moments. So trust a professional.
I personally like to joke, a bit, with my clients, because this always lightens the mood, as well as extinguishes nerves. I ask a lot of questions so I can get the best photographs possible for my clients. It is not about me, it is about you, as a client. You are a special person, unique to everyone so lets show off that personality!